In a Wednesday morning ceremony six members of the District of Columbia's City Council were sworn-in which begins the new DC Council session.
The only new member was David Grosso (I); the other five (Vincent Orange, Muriel Bowser, Jack Evans, Marion Barry, and Yvette Alexander) were incumbents who successfully kept their seats on the Council.
Former councilmenber Michael Brown has announced that he wants back in the council, and this time he's running as a Democrat. During his time on the Council he was an Independent.
Brown and over a dozen others have picked up nominating petitions for April's special election for DC Council Chairman Phil Mendelson's vacant At-Large seat.
They all have to collect 3,000 city-wide signatures within the next three weeks.
DC Council committee assignments:
- Human Services: (Ward 1) Jim Graham, Chairman
- Finance & Revenue: (Ward 2) Jack Evans, Chairman
- Transportation & the Environment: (Ward 3) Mary Cheh, Chairman
- Economic Development: (Ward 4) Muriel Bowser, Chairman
- Judiciary: (Ward 6) Tommy Wells, Chairman
- Health: (Ward 7) Yvette Alexander, Chairman
- Workforce & Community Affairs: (Ward 8) Marion Barry, Chairman
- Education: (At-Large) David Catania, Chairman
- Business, Consumer & Regulatory Affairs: (At-Large) Vincent B. Orange, Chairman