Daytona Beach Firefighters saved two units of a triplex from a fire early Wednesday morning, and warned residents not to use kerosene to light a fireplace. Daytona Beach Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Larry Stoney says the blaze in the 700 block of Segrave Street was reported shortly after 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, and firefighters found one of the triplex units fully consumed by flames as they arrived on the scene. There were also reports that callers said they could see the flames from Ridgewood Avenue. Firefighters initially focused on saving the two other units of the triplex, since they were so close to the fully involved unit. They were then able to attack the fire in the first unit and bring it under control.
No one was hurt in the fire, which resulted in an estimated $75,000 damage to the first unit. Lt. Stoney said reports at the scene were that the fire started as a resident was trying to light the fireplace with kerosene, and the liquid spilled and caught the floor and a couch on fire. Lt. Stoney noted that kerosene should not be used to light a fireplace, and that only crystal clear K-1 kerosene should be used in a kerosene heater. Also, appliances should be allowed to cool first and then should be refueled outside. The Fire Department also said portable heaters should not be overfilled and kerosene heaters should only be used in a well-ventilated room.
Click here to visit the Daytona Beach Fire Department website.
You can contact Mike Royer at email@example.com