Without much trouble, you can easily fly from Kahului (OGG) airport on Maui to Honolulu (HNL) on Oahu for a quick day trip to the beaches and shopping venues in Waikiki.
There are four airlines that fly between Maui and Oahu, with flights between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m.:
- Hawaiian Airlines is the largest and most popular airline with the most daily flights.
- Go Airline is one of the cheapest tickets but with limited flights.
- Mokulele Airlines is Hawaii's #1 Island Hopper.
- Island Air has daily flight between the two islands for $160.00
Round-trip tickets range from $150.00 to $175.00 per person, with discounts and off-season specials sometimes available.
- Don't rent a car, just take the bus into Waikiki Beach. A taxi can cost you up to $100.00, but the bus is just as fast and is only $1 per person.
- Parking is limited and expensive in the Waikiki area, so it's best to take a taxi or the bus to the beaches and shopping areas.
- There's plenty of activities to do in Waikiki, like the Honolulu Zoo and the International Marketplace.
- Make sure you walk through the famous "Pink Palace" - The Royal Hawaiian hotel. It's a Waikiki Beach landmark and icon of class and luxury.
- Sit in the rocking chairs on the front balcony of the Westin Moana Surfrider and enjoy some of the best people watching in Waikiki Beach.
- Hawaiian Airlines has an early morning flight at 6 a.m. to Oahu, which lets you enjoy the full day in the Waikiki Beach area, when you take a late 9 p.m. flight back to Maui.
- Parking at the Kahului Airport on Maui is not expensive, but you can take the Maui Transportation System bus to the airport for only $2 per person.
- Maui is an incredible island to visit if you're coming to the islands, and Lahaina Town is one of the most popular places to visit on the west side of Maui.
- Oahu is the populated island and has the famous Waikiki Beach and Pearl Harbor memorial.
- If you're looking to visit one of the "outer islands" consider a day trip to Lanai and visit what was once an island dedicated to pineapple production.
- While on Maui and Front Street in Lahaina Town, stop at Hawaii Fudge Company for Hawaii's best fudge and Hawaii flavors of salt water taffy.
- Traveling to Thailand from Hawaii? Thailand is one of the most interesting countries in the world, and Bangkok is a fast-paced, historically cultural city.