Parents are faced with the decision of locating a day or work program for their young adult with special needs once high school is completed. There are several facilities located in the Phoenix metro area offering a variety of services. A Day Program offers a variety of activities including community outings, socialization, therapies and completion of individual goals based on current ISP. Work Programs are designed to give individuals the opportunity to earn a minimal wage, promote independence, follow structured day and work with peers.
Most programs follow an application process and most work programs will only accept high functioning individuals. Parents should keep in mind that the application process can take up to weeks if the organization has an opening and it is also a strong possibility that a waiting list is involved.
Key Points to consider:
- Visit each facility during operating hours
- Pay attention to participants moods and behaviors
- Listen for key words such as "quiet room", "behavioral issues" and "30 day trial period"
- Recognize the ability of each member
- Pay attention to the general "feel" of the facility
- Operating Hours
- Safety of building
- Room structure and cleanliness
- Attend a community outing
- Student to staff ratio
The following links provide information and assistance: