Lombardo who started the statement apologizing to fans who already bought the tour tickets, said he is not playing the upcoming Australian dates as a result of a difference of ideas regarding how the band's financial business was operating. “I'm saddened and to be honest shocked by the situation” expressed the drummer making reference to an email he received from the lawyers saying he was being replaced. According to the Lombardo, when he proposed to Kerry and Tom a new business model to confidently protect Slayer's interests and this way to do what they do best, “play for the fans”, Kerry disagreed and told him that if he wanted to argue they would find another drummer, and eventually they did. In the long statement, Lombardo stated that he discovered a 90% of the band's income was being deducted leaving only 10% of income for the musicians. He also indicated that when he asked for detailed information in relation to the expenses, it was denied. Finally, Dave ended the statement saying “I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues," he then apologized once again to the Australian fans.
On the other hand, heavy metal drummer Jon Dette who is currently in Australia with Anthrax, will occupy Lombardo's place. Dette has played with Slayer on different occasions, another band he's been part of prior to Slayer was Testament with which he also appeared on “Live at The Fillmore” album released in 1995.
Slayer is scheduled to headline the Soundawave Festival in Brisbane, Australia starting Feb. 23. The line up includes Metallica, Anthrax, Dragonforce among many others.