A seventy-six-year-old man called me and said, “You work with senior citizens; my wife died a year ago, and I am lonely. I am just looking for someone my age to talk to, and go to McDonalds with. What do you know about the Internet dating sites for senior citizens?”
He made me think; I know nothing about senior citizen dating sites; and I work with senior citizens, it is time I became informed.
Here are five of the top rated dating sites for senior citizens:
· Match.com: The biggest Senior Dating user base in the world!
· eHarmony: Search for mature singles by taking a personality compatibility test.
· OurTime.com: Senior daters looking for love and companionship.
· LOVEagain.com: Single seniors looking for long term, romantic relationships.
· Golf mates: Where golf fans ages 50+ can find like-minded people.
There is also a Senior Citizen dating community page on Facebook that is a good place to start and get informed.
The dating reasons and goals are different for the seniors than the younger crowd, and that is why dating sites have been formed for their needs. The youthful dating crowd often looks for someone to build a marriage, and family with. The seniors, have been there, done that; they are looking to meet new people, and have companionship. Navigating a dating site may seem overwhelming to seniors at first. The following shares some tips when joining a senior on-line dating site.
1. Find a good senior dating site: Read the reviews and research it before you get involved with it.
2. Do not commit to long term services. Join one that lets customers terminate service at any time. Subscription-based sites tend to offer better results than the free dating sites.
3. The important things to include in your profile are who you are, what you are looking for, and to use a recent photo.
4. The senior generation grew up when they could trust people, keep in mind, the Internet is global, and can be dangerous. If a person sounds too good to be true, beware.
5. Have your first date in a public setting, which is not near your home.
6. Never give out your bank account details or any other financial information. If asked report that person immediately.
7. Do not let anyone pressure you into giving more information about yourself than you are comfortable with.
8. Beware of anyone asking for charitable contributions.
According to the dating sites for seniors, their biggest growth area is the 50-plus generation. The reason stated is, their adult children are leading them to it.
If you are a senior citizen, and want to try your luck at on-line dating, the best piece of advice is to stay true to yourself. Don’t sacrifice your morals, or your opinions for someone you meet on-line. The right match is out there somewhere, sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of toads to find your match, but with the right attitude, you can make a lot of new friends, and have a lot of fun doing it.