Meet people on online dating chats
Texting and online chat have become the new communication medium of choice for many people - no matter what generation. Chatrooms and forums offer a chance to meet like-minded people and build a relationship. Whether the friendship or romance moves into the 3-dimensional world is a personal decision, but the opportunity to carry on passionate, thought-provoking, intelligent conversations makes online chatting the perfect tool for connecting with other people.
There are two trains of thought about sharing online. The first is that it provides a safe venue to express your true feelings; a more cynical view is that the anonymity of the web provides cover for anyone who wants to hide behind a facade to give a false impression of themselves so as to impress. Granted, there is no way to know for sure if the people you are connecting with are being honest. But, unless you make the leap to meet personally, what's the harm? And if you are looking for a meet and greet type connection, that's the chance you'll be taking. But statistically, the percentage of people who participate and enjoy communicating via the Internet are very satisfied and continue to join in the ongoing dialog of Internet relationships.
How to meet through an online chat room
Don't let the name 'dating' throw you off when you're considering online chat. Although the main focus may be people looking for an emotional connection, a large number are not just looking to date - they're hoping to connect. So the first thing is to decide what your motives are in joining a chatroom.
- For friendship!
There are many sites that offer an online chat service for free and may fit your needs perfectly, especially if you're looking for friendship and conversation. One of the easiest way to make a connection is by finding others who share the same interest. There are forums and chatrooms for virtually any hobby or passion. Any topic that people are interested in can be found just by searching using relevant key words. Looking for gambling tips? There's a site. Are you a budding horticulturalist? There's a site. Sports, music, fashion, religion, politics, you name it!
- For romance!!
If you're looking for love, it may be worth the few bucks it costs to join a reputable dating service where the search technology is provided to find people that match your specific hopes. eHarmony and Match are just two of the many services that will help in your search.
Think safety when chatting online
Safety should always come first when you're meeting new people. Don't be a passive participant or naive to think that you can tell by the messages that the person you're chatting with is trustworthy. Even the most geniune-appearing person could be hiding intent that is not in your best interest.
Here are rules to follow to ensure your personal safety:
- Choose your words carefully. Anything you type in a chat room can be seen by anyone who is using that chat room.
- Avoid descriptive screen names. Choose one that does not identify you in any way.
- Never, ever give out your personal information including your real name, phone number, address, passwords, or account information of any kind.
- Ignore any requests for personal information.
- Never accept files or downloads from people you don't know or from people you do know, if you weren‘t expecting them. This includes URLs.
- Never agree to meet someone alone whom you only know through chat room conversations.
- Learn how to and save copies of your chat room conversations.
- Review all usage terms and know how to report problems to the chat room moderator.