A group of “concerned Asian, Black, Latin@, Native, Undocumented, Queer, and Differently-Abled students" at Dartmouth have threatened "physical action" if school officials do not cave in to a list of demands presented in a letter, the College Fix reported Monday.
According to the College Fix, the demands include:
- Racial enrollment quotas for Black and Latino students to “at least 10 percent each.”
- “Ensure that 47 percent of post-doctoral students are people of color.”
- “Ban the use of ‘illegal aliens, illegal immigrants, wetback’ and any racially charged term.”
- Mandate cultural competency and sensitivity training for professors.
- “Ask staff/faculty to use students’ and employees’ preferred gender pronouns.”
- Enroll more students in the country illegally (undocumented students); and provide them free legal assistance and financial aid.
- Convert ethnic studies programs into full-fledged departments.
- Increase the interdisciplinary academic focus on sexualities.
- Enact curricular changes to force students to study social justice and marginalization in depth.
The students also demanded gender-neutral bathrooms in every building on campus, and at least one queer studies class in each department.
They also demanded the school institute a policy penalizing and discriminating against students who use the Indian mascot and said the school’s conservative paper should be forced to give up the name “Dartmouth” if it uses the term “Indian.”
Although Dartmouth never officially adopted the Indian as its mascot, the use of the Indian dates back to the 1920s.
"It is difficult to determine exactly why, but some Boston sportswriters and cartoonists began to refer to Dartmouth's teams as the Indians prior to the 1922 football game with Harvard," Dartmouth says, adding that the Board of Trustees called for its end in 1974.
According to the students, these demands, along with many others listed in the lengthy letter will “eradicate systems of oppression as they affect marginalized communities on this campus.”
“These systems–which include racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and ableism—are deployed at Dartmouth and beyond as forms of institutional violence,” the letter adds. “We demand that Dartmouth challenge these systems by redistributing power and resources in a way that is radically equitable.”
Reparations that require funds, the letter adds, must “have a monetary commitment in the 2014-2015 fiscal budget.”
The unnamed students say the actions are needed to combat what it calls the school’s oppressive and racist atmosphere.
The letter gives school officials a March 24 deadline for compliance.
“If the Dartmouth administration does not respond by the indicated time, those who believe in freedom will be forced to physical action,” the unnamed students threatened. “As mentioned before, this proposal is not about interpersonal interactions, but about restoring justice in an institution beset with a history of discriminatory and oppressive practices.”
- Dartmouth activists use MLK Day meeting to discriminate against non-liberals
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo: 'Extreme' conservative Republicans not welcome in state
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Unhinged: Disgraced former Dem. official calls for eating Republicans, blowing up 2016 GOP convention
- Liberal graffiti states desire of leftists: ‘Kill all Republicans’
- Toxic rhetoric: Twitter users want Sarah Palin dead, media yawns
- New York Governor: Confiscation of guns 'could be an option'
- New Hampshire Democrat seeks to restrict freedom for conservatives, media silent