Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Darrell Wallace Jr. wins at Gateway

Darrell Wallace Jr. celebrates in victory lane at Gateway Motorsports Park
Darrell Wallace Jr. celebrates in victory lane at Gateway Motorsports Park
Getty Images for NASCAR

Darrell Wallace Jr. led a race-high 85 laps in the Drivin' For Linemen 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, Ill., near St. Louis on Saturday night, with most of those laps coming in the first half of the race. He got back up to the front late and drove to the win. German Quiroga finished second, and Timothy Peters was third.

Cole Custer started on the pole, but Wallace took the lead at the start and led until a series of green-flag pit stops that got underway around lap 57. A yellow flag interrupted the cycle after Wallace had pitted. To make matters worse, his truck fell off the jack during the pit stop. Wallace wound up restarting 12th, while Matt Crafton and John Hunter Nemechek restarted on the front row.

"I didn't even worry about it," Wallace said of the trouble on pit road and the loss of track position."

Nemechek took the lead on the restart, but he was unable to shake Crafton. Crafton got back by with 40 laps remaining, but soon after, experienced a tire problem and hit the wall, retiring from the race.

Nemechek got off pit road first during the caution for Crafton's wreck. Wallace was back neaar the front to restart second, and Wallace's Kyle Busch Motorsports teammate Erik Jones restarted third. Both Wallace and Jones got by Nemechek soon after the restart to take the top-two spots. Fewer than 20 laps later, Nemechek spun while running third, bringing out the sixth caution of the race.

With Nemechek out of the picture, the two KBM teammates restarted first and second, with the Red Horse Racing duo of German Quiroga and Timothy Peters in third and fourth. Wallace and Jones raced side-by-side for the lead for several laps, and Jones was finally able to get by and take the top spot. But as soon as Jones took the lead, he was on the receiving end of contact from Quiroga that sent him into a spin.

"We were driving really hard," Quiroga said, also commenting that Jones was already sideways before the contact. "I just kept it going."

After a caution that included a scuffle on pit road between Jones' and Quirogas' crews, Quiroga restarted in the race lead, and Wallace was second with three laps to go. As soon as the race returned to green, Wallace took the lead for good.

"He was a little better than me in one and two, and then I guess he fell asleep or something and I got around him in three and four."

Johnny Sauter finished fourth, and Ron Hornaday was fifth. Custer finished sixth, Ryan Blaney seventh, John Wes Townley eighth, Chase Pistone ninth, and Tayler Malsam rounded out the top-10.

Report this ad