Kalypso Media has announced that they're own studio Gaming Minds are currently developing the space combat/adventure game DarkStar One: Broken Alliance or the Xbox 360 and is scheduled for a summer 2010 release.
DarkStar One: Broken Alliance will combine fast and furious in-the-cockpit starship combat with a deep storyline. Players will be put into the role of Kayron Jarvis as he attempts to unravel the mystery of his father's death. As Kayron, you will brave the vast reaches of space, encounter, battle, and trade with six mysterious alien races all from the comfort of you very own highly customizable ship, the DarkStar One
Players will be able to choose their own career paths ranging from brigand, mercenary, privateer, and merchant. But players won't be limited to a single one, you can choose to mix them as you please. Players will also be able to buy or capture alien technology to customize the DarkStar One. There will be hundreds of possible combinations of weapons, shields, armor and components.
The game will include the following features:
• An open-ended storyline that allows players to choose their path to fortune and glory - play as a privateer, mercenary, smuggler, trader or any combination of these – tweaking your ship's capabilities and tactics to best suit your style of play.
• Fully customize your ship with weapons, engines, shields and over 200 distinct components. Purchase the parts you need, or capture them from enemy ships. Turn the DarkStar One into a heavily armed freighter, fast attack boat, cruiser or whatever you like, all based on a massive variety of customization options.
• Explore a universe comprised of more than 330 solar systems populated by six distinct alien races, each with their own technology, architecture and space combat tactics. Befriend aliens and trade with them for new equipment, or gun them down and take their technology – the choice is yours.
• More than 40 minutes of cut scene storytelling, and over 90 minutes of Dolby® 5.1 channel surround sound music immerse the player in thrilling space combat and unpredictable encounters with alien races and exotic worlds.
• An innovative hybrid gameplay style effortlessly moves the player between story-driven adventure gaming and fierce space battles in full 3D, while a richly developed trading and customization system seamlessly links the two modes of play."
DarkStar One: Broken Alliance does look interesting and promises to deliver a genre of game normally seen on the PC but it should be noted that this game looks like a simple port of the 2007 PC game of the same name, DarkStar One, with a subtitle tacked on. If this is the case, then hopefully the old game has gone through some improvements as the PC version's controls were criticized. But it's too soon to tell, so check back as for new information as it gets closer to release.
As always, here is a list of local game stores for your convenience though it should be noted it is too early to try pre-ordering this game.
GameStop - Mall of Louisiana
6401 Blue Bonnet Blvd.
GameWare - Mall of Louisiana
6401 Bluebonnet Blvd.