On Sept. 4, “Dancing with the Stars” revealed its new cast of celebrities and pro pairings for season 17. The big announcement was made on “Good Morning America” on Wednesday morning and the 12 celebrities who plan on stepping outside their comfort zones to compete for the coveted mirror ball trophy were named. In addition to the stars, the highly anticipated pro pairings were also revealed.
When “Dancing with the Stars” kicks off on Sept. 16, there will be one major change. This time around, ABC has changed up the format of the show to include judges’ and the audience votes on the same night. This will lead to an incredible climax each night, which airs on Mondays. It’s good news for fans that want to catch all the spray-tanned action, but don’t want to commit to three hours each week. However, it’s bad news for viewers that like to stretch out the drama to two nights. ABC hopes this transition to a one-night format results in improved ratings after several seasons of a diminishing audience.
So, who is set to endure long hours of grueling practice, master technical moves, and produce competitive dances this season? Below is the new cast and the pro pairings for brand new season of “Dancing with the Stars.”
- Elizabeth Berkley from "Saved By the Bell" and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
- Corbin Bleu from "High School Musical" and pro Karina Smirnoff
- Brant Daugherty from "Pretty Little Liars" and pro Peta Murgatroyd
- Bill Engvall, country comedian, and pro Emma Slater (new)
- Valerie Harper, who was diagnosed with brain cancer earlier this year, and pro Tristan MacManus
- Keyshawn Johnson, NFL wide receiver for 11 years, and pro Sharna Burgess
- Christina Milian, actress/singer/entrepreneur, and pro Mark Ballas
- Bill Nye "The Science Guy"and new pro
- Jack Osbourne from "The Osbournes" and pro Cheryl Burke
- Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi from "Jersey Shore" and pro Sasha Farber (new)
- Leah Remini from "Head of the Class and pro Tony Dovolani
- Amber Riley from "Glee" and pro Derek Hough
So, who will rise to the top and take home the prestigious mirror ball trophy? In the past, sports stars have usually done very well. However, nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to “DWTS.” As far as the pros go, Derek Hough reigns supreme with four wins, followed by Cheryl Burke, Julianne Hough and Mark Ballas, who have won two times each.
Below are past winners and their pro partners, dating back to the very first season in 2005.
- Season 1: Kelly Monaco and partner Alec Mazo
- Season 2: Drew Lachey and partner Cheryl Burke
- Season 3: Emmitt Smith and partner Cheryl Burke
- Season 4: Apolo Anton Ohno and partner Julianne Hough
- Season 5: Helio Castroneves and partner Julianne Hough
- Season 6: Kristi Yamaguchi and partner Mark Ballas
- Season 7: Brooke Burke and partner Derek Hough
- Season 8: Shawn Johnson and partner Mark Ballas
- Season 9: Donny Osmond and partner Kym Johnson
- Season 10: Nicole Scherzinger and partner Derek Hough
- Season 11: Jennifer Grey and partner Derek Hough
- Season 12: Hines Ward and partner Kym Johnson
- Season 13: J.R. Martinez and partner Karina Smirnoff
- Season 14: Donald Driver and partner Peta Murgatroyd
- Season 15: Melissa Rycroft and partner Tony Dovolani
- Season 16: Kellie Pickler and partner Derek Hough
“Dancing with the Stars” premieres at 8 p.m. EST on Monday, Sept. 16 on ABC.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite television shows, including “Dancing with the Stars.”