Pena, 24, tore her ACL, MCL, LCL, meniscus and hamstring while grappling with a male training partner at a gym in Spokane, Wash., this week.
"Estoy fuera de mi pelea 15 de marzo en Dallas debido a una lesión. Voy a hacer una recuperación completa. Pido disculpas a mis fans.#UFC171," Pena tweeted.
Translated to English, Pena's tweet means she's out of my fight March 15 in Dallas due to injury, and that she'll make a full recovery. She apologizes to her fans.
White says Pena could be sidelined for two years, and he thinks her gym had a lot to do with the injuries she suffered.
"What happened to @VenezuelanVixen at 'her gym' is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard. Ranked #10 out for 2 years. #leavethatgymnow," White tweeted.
Sik-Jitsu fighting systems coach Rick Little, owner of the gym in question, fired back at White from his official Twitter page.
"@danawhite she has tore her other knee, broke her arm and her nose, some people only have one gear and break themselves. & she should be #2," he wrote.
Shayna Baszler and Sarah Kaufman both asked for the Andrade fight, but Pennington received the call instead.
UFC 171, which features a headlining bout pitting Johny Hendricks against Robbie Lawler for the UFC's vacant welterweight title, is set for March 15 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.
Here's a look at the updated UFC 171 fight card:
- Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler
- Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley
- Diego Sanchez vs. Myles Jury
- Hector Lombard vs. Jake Shields
- Thiago Silva vs. Ovince St. Preux
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Rick Story
- Jessica Andrade vs. Raquel Pennington
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Jimy Hettes
- Bubba McDaniel vs. Tor Troeng
- Will Campuzano vs. Justin Scoggins
- Alex Garcia vs. Sean Spencer
- Renee Forte vs. Frank Trevino
- Daniel Pineda vs. Robert Whiteford