Fire Department and Emergency cars caught the attention more of journalists than of community in Downtown Salt Lake next to Temple Square this morning abt 11:30 a.m. till abt 1 p.m. Even Dan Rascon from KUTV-channel 2 was on-site to ensure that the chemical problem was resolved and it was an accident.
Pat Reavy has just reported that two chemicals were accidentally mixed together creating a hazardous materials scare that resulted in 10 people being sent to the hospital. A janitor inside Temple Square's South Visitors' Center, 50 W. South Temple, was pouring chlorine into what he thought was an empty bottle, although there were traces of sulfuric acid inside from a previous job. The mixture created a vapor cloud of thionyl chloride.
"When you breathe it, it creates burning in the mucus membrane, coughing and nausea," Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said.
The room was small enough that many people were affected despite the small amount mixed. As a consequence, about 50 people were evacuated from the visitors center..
No terrorist act or conspiracy has been suspected for this case.
Temple Square is one of the most popular tourist places in the USA. Next to the Temple Square is Family History Library, which continues to work during the accident.