On Sunday the Dallas Morning News shined a very bright light on gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis and, it was in what was alluded to, that shows her in the most negative way. The darling of the left - who is referred to as "Abortion Barbie" by her detractors - has admitted that some factoids about her past were not as "tight" as they should have been. At first it was the team from Republican Greg Abbott that was calling a time out on her pulling at the heart strings background; however, now the DMN has launched a similar action.
Davis, who is attempting to become the first Democratic governor in 19 years, has picked the one state that embraces "Keep it Right / Keep it Red" mentality when it comes to most elected officials. The article published by the News spoke to many sources including Davis's ex-husband and former councilpersons that served with her; it wasn't pretty with the following items standing out:
- Davis recently testified in a federal lawsuit over redistricting; records show her comments to be: “I had a baby. I got divorced by the time I was 19 years old. After I got divorced, I lived in a mobile home park in southeast Fort Worth.” According to public records, Davis was in fact divorced from her first husband at the age of 21 which means that she, as a Harvard educated lawyer, lied in her testimony in the federal lawsuit.
- At the age of 23, she married an attorney, Jeff Davis who was 13 years older than she. He paid for the completion of her degree at Texas Christian University, cashed in his 401(k), and took out a loan to pay for her education once she was accepted at Harvard. Davis left her second husband days after he paid off the loan on her education. According to the DMN article: Jeff Davis said that was right around the time the final payment on their Harvard Law School loan was due. “It was ironic,” he said. “I made the last payment, and it was the next day she left.”
- While Davis was in Boston attending Harvard, her husband raised her first-born daughter by another man and the daughter she shared with Jeff Davis.
- Under the terms of the divorce, her husband received custody and she was required to pay $1,200 per month in child support.
- A colleague and political supporter that has worked with Davis stated in the DMN article:
“Wendy is tremendously ambitious,” he said, speaking only on condition of anonymity in order to give what he called an honest assessment. “She’s not going to let family or raising children or anything else get in her way. He said: “She’s going to find a way, and she’s going to figure out a way to spin herself in a way that grabs at the heart strings. A lot of it isn’t true about her, but that’s just us who knew her."
If the almost 500 comments left on the DMN article are any indication of the public sentiments toward Ms. Davis, she has a serious uphill battle ahead of her.