Skip to main content
  1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Sports
  3. NFL

Dallas Cowboys news: Tony Romo talks NFL Draft and his durability

See also

There were some Dallas Cowboys rumors that the team might draft Johnny Manziel in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Those were unfounded as the Cowboys have a quality starting quarterback in Tony Romo and there were needs in other areas of the team. The Cowboys official website reported on Thursday that Romo was never worried about the Manziel rumors.

More Photos

According to Romo, he wasn’t surprised to see Dallas draft a new protector for his offensive line in Zack Martin with their first round pick. Of course, most of the Cowboys rumors came from fans and some members of the press, who were simply speculating. Romo, on the other hand, probably had a pretty good idea of what Dallas was planning on doing.

Romo said that he has been talking to the coaches and administrators in the organization about what they see as needs. A need for a few years has been the offensive line. With Martin drafted with this year’s first round pick, that means Dallas has spent three of their last four first round picks on protection for Tony Romo. Most of the remainder of the Cowboys’ 2014 NFL Draft picks went towards rebuilding their defense.

Romo, who is in the second year of a six year, $108 million contract, seems excited about the 2014 season. His season ended early in 2013, with the Cowboys fighting for a playoff spot in the final game of the season for the third year in a row. For the third year, they lost. Questions have risen about Romo’s durability for the next five years of his contract.

In a local radio interview on Wednesday, Romo had no concerns about his durability. Romo said that he feels good after the back surgery that ended his 2013 season. He said that he has been able to work in the offseason program, something he wasn’t able to do last year. He also said that he will be back to 100 percent by next month.

Advertisement