With two former high round draft picks trying to make the Dallas Cowboys roster on offense, it is almost easy to forget about the former number one pick on defense trying to make the squad. Of course, former number one pick Brandon Weeden is trying to lock up the backup quarterback position and former number two draft pick Ryan Williams is trying to win the third running back spot. However, Jason Garrett said on Thursday that there is a chance Rolando McClain could be one of the top three linebackers in Dallas this season.
With Sean Lee out for the season, there is room for someone to step forward and become a leader in the important linebacker corps in Dallas. There might not be a better choice than the former Oakland Raiders first round draft pick. At the moment, McClain is backing up Justin Durant, but Durant has the flexibility to move around, giving McClain a huge chance to make his presence known.
Right now, Dallas has Durant, McClain, Kyle Wilber, DeVonte Holloman, Anthony Hitchens and Bruce Carter competing for the jobs at linebacker. Durant is pretty much set in stone, the man who has stepped in to take the place of Sean Lee as the leader of this unit. At the moment, Wilber, Durant and Carter are listed as the starting linebackers but Garrett said that Carter still has some work to do when it comes to consistency.
Right now, it is Wilber that McClain is working on passing in the competition. Even Dallas Cowboys’ owner and general manager Jerry Jones said that Rolando McClain has been very impressive in camp so far. The problem is that he has been out of the NFL for over a year when he chose to quit on the Raiders. That is also a situation that Dallas will have to monitor, because McClain is someone who hasn’t proven reliable. However, if he plays up to his talent, he could be huge for the Dallas Cowboys in 2014.