If you want to avoid dairy or if you go dairy-free because you suffer from an allergy or intolerance, the GOVeggie! cream cheese alternative to cheese is an excellent option. Use it as a spread on bread and on crackers, make non-cheese dips and even better try the following, seasonal recipe for the holiday season.
makes 16 cookies
• ¼ cup non-hydrogenated vegan butter
• ½ cup organic evaporated cane sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ cup GO Veggie! Classic Plain Cream Cheese
• ¼ cup canned pumpkin
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• ¼ teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
• ¾ cup organic all-purpose un-bleached flour
• ¼ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
• ½ cup GO Veggie! Classic Plain Cream Cheese, for topping
Preheat oven to 350°
Cream together vegan butter and sugar, until smooth, either in a standing mixer or mix by hand using a pastry whisk. Add vanilla extract, cream cheese alternative, pumpkin, and maple syrup and blend until smooth. Add sea salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Mix until ingredients are uniform, about 1 minute.
Add flours. Whisk until mixture is uniform. The dough should be soft and pliable.
Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Scoop cookie mixture, using a tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop on to cookie sheet. Spread out about an inch apart.
Bake for about 24 minutes, rotating once.
Let the cookies cool on a cookie sheet for about 7-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For presentation, place ½ cup GO Veggie! Classic Plain Cream Cheese in a piping bag with a star tip. Create a small cream cheese swirl on each cookie before serving.