Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

D-II Report: Fayetteville States Wins OT Thriller, ECSU Holds On for First Win

Derek Bryant hit Juwan Moye with a 10-yard touchdown pass in the second overtime to help Fayetteville State outlast Chowan, 35-29, in a CIAA match-up Saturday.

Moments earlier, as Chowan drove for a score, Simeon Marshall picked off Hawks quarterback at the FSU 17.

The victory kept the Broncos (3-2, 2-0) undefeated in CIAA play, while Chowan fell to 2-3, 1-1.

Bryant completed 22 of 30 passes for 324 yards and three touchdowns, while Moye caught seven passes for 165 yards and two scores.

Chowan’s signal caller Dain McFarland matched the TD total with only 146 yards but threw three picks, the last being the backbreaker for the Hawks.

FSU took the early lead, in the first quarter, on Andre Montgomery’s 24-yard scoring run.

Moye then caught his first touchdown, from 11 yards out on a pass by Jemeryn Jenkins. Moye ran in a two-point conversion to give the Broncos a 15-0 lead.

Chowan got on the board when Willie Hickman intercepted Jenkins and ran the ball back 41 yards to cut the deficit to 15-7 at the half.

The Broncos then broke the tie with 38 seconds to play when Bryant connected with Dwayne Lorrick on a 20-yard score.

Chowan refused to give up, though, and McFarland found Robert Holland from two yards out at time expired to force overtime.

In the first overtime, the teams traded TD’s, Bryant with a nine-yard toss to Antonio Allen and McFarland with a six-yard pass to Robert Holland.

Elizabeth City State 26, St. Augustine’s 25

Petey Boone rushed for 129 yards to help the Vikings (1-4, 1-1 CIAA) win their first game of the season against the Falcons (2-3, 1-1) at John Baker Stadium in Raleigh.

After SAU’s Kharea Roseboro returned an interception 33 yards to cut ECSU’s lead to 19-16, Tyrell Houghton burst through the Falcons’ defense for a 26-yard TD run that put ECSU up for good.

The victory was in doubt until the end, though.

Roderick Davenport had a two-yard touchdown scamper to cut the ECSU lead to 26-23.

Vikings kicker Brett Symonds then ran out of the back of the end zone with 22 seconds, resulting in a safety and free kick that gave St. Augustine’s one last chance.

That last chance fizzled, however, when Jordan Turkvant’s pass from A.J. Gilford resulted in a 12-yard loss back to the SAU 38, along with allowing the game clock to run out.

Notes: Neither team’s quarterback managed 100 yards passing. Both squads combined for 188 yards passing, with no touchdowns and five interceptions.

Report this ad