No longer is it necessary to journey to exotic European destinations for a cycling tour when Ontario has it all and more. For a true showcase of Ontario cycle tourism tours, routes and event options available for serious cycling enthusiasts to recreational and family bikers, March 1 to 3 is the time to find out more and start planning for some summer cycling adventures closer to home.
Industry representatives and the public are invited to attend the Ontario Cycle Tourism Forum, a one day conference in Toronto on Friday March 1. With over 25 speakers and 150 delegates expected from around the province, an array of stories will be told and lessons shared from the perspective of business owners, organizations, regions and tourism professionals who are experiencing growth in cycle tourism in Ontario and recognize that Bikes Mean Business.
The conference coincides well, and has partnered with the annual March 1 to 3 Toronto International Bicycle Show. Recognized as one of the biggest bike shows in North America, cyclists can shop for the latest gear, see live competitions and also find out more about cycle touring in Ontario. With numerous booths and displays from around the province and free cycling maps and information available at the Ontario Cycle Tourism Information Centre (Booth 827), the show is must do for anyone that has ever ridden a bike.
Making Ontario the destination for a cycling getaway tour, whether it’s a multi day bike tour or a few hours pedal on a weekend getaway, makes sense for a number of reasons:
• Bike touring closer to home means - more trip time, less travel time. It is easier on the pocket book, and can be done more frequently with less trip planning time required.
• Cyclists have an enhanced appreciation of destinations, slower pace and open air views.
• Cycling is a healthy travel option for both the body and the planet.
• Ontario has over 40 published cycling maps and guides, many available on-line.
• There were over 85 cycling events across Ontario in 2012, attracting tens of thousands or participants annually.
• 16 regional bike tour operators offer cyclists guided tours and rentals, 6 tour companies offer cross regional Ontario bike tour packages and countless local bike clubs offer members weekend tour trip options.
• 600+ Welcome Cyclists certified bicycle friendly business locations in 21 regions across the province.
• Multiple Bike Train travel options with VIA Rail and GO Transit so cyclists can enjoy the convenience of getting to various destinations by rail.
• www.welcomecyclists.ca – Cyclists are just one click away from accessing all the cycle tourism information they need.
The Ontario Cycle Tourism Forum and Information Centre at the Bicycle Show are projects coordinated by the non profit organization, Transportation Options, under the Ontario Welcome Cyclists Partnership. Established in 1992, Transportation Options has successfully developed a number of innovative programs to increase sustainable transportation and tourism options in Ontario. Other related programs include the Welcome Cyclists Network, Bike Train Initiative and Parkbus. Programs sponsors include the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Province of Ontario, and other valued partners as listed on-line.
To learn more about the cycle tourism travel opportunities in Ontario go to:
The Ontario Cycle Tourism Forum/Conference