Turn your kitchen into a mini bakery and do up a batch of custard-filled cream puffs and surprise your family or guests with a special treat. Cream puffs to take a little more time to make than cupcakes but the results are extraordinary. These pastries are a favorite choice at many gatherings and have smooth and creamy custard that is hard to resist. No two cream puffs ever look exactly alike so don’t be surprised if the ones you make don’t either. Depending how you drop the batter on the cookie sheet will give each one a unique look when baked. Once the filling is added the differences will disappear and turn your tray into an awesome platter of pastries.
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 4 eggs
Cream puff custard
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- In a sauce pan bring water and margarine to a boil.
- Add flour and salt then mix till all the flour residue leaves the pan sides.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Remove from heat and then on a parchment lined cookie sheet drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto it about three inches apart from each other.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and place puffs on rack to cool.
Cream puff custard:
- Combine sugar, flour, salt and milk together and cook in a double boiler over the hot water until the mixture is thick.
- Cover pan and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the egg with a little custard mixture and add it to rest of custard and cook for an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in margarine.
- Let the custard cool down and then stir in the vanilla.
- Once cream puffs are cooled you are ready to split them in half and fill with the custard filling.
- Place on a decorative platter and serve.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved