The 32nd annual Curtain Up! kicks off the Buffalo theatre season on Friday, September 20th at over 20 professional theatres in the Buffalo area. The festivities include dinners, performances and a post-performance party in downtown Buffalo.
Attendees may choose to start the evening off with dinner at any one of the Theatre District's numerous restaurants, or join honorary chairperson A. R. Gurney, a distinguished playwright and Buffalo native,
at the Gala Dinner, taking place under a big white tent in the middle of Main Street just north of Tupper Street. Tickets for the Gala Dinner, which begins at 5:30 p.m., are $95 and available here.
After dinner, check out a show at one of more than 20 of Buffalo's outstanding professional theatres. Shows on stage that night include:
· I Love Lucy at 710 Main Theatre (710 Main St. in downtown Buffalo)
· Dead Man’s Cell Phone by Sarah Ruhl at Buffalo Laboratory Theatre (5200 South Park Ave. in Hamburg)
· The School for Husbands by Moliere at Irish Classical Theatre Company (625 Main St. on downtown Buffalo)
· Love, Sex and the IRS by Billy Van Zandt and Jane Milmore at Lancaster Opera House (21 Central Ave. in Lancaster)
· The Kathy & Mo Show: Parallel Lives/The Dark Side by Mo Gaffney and Kathy Najimy at O’Connell and Company in residence at The Park School (4625 Harlem Rd. in Snyder)
When the shows are over, the free Theatre District street party kicks off around 10 p.m., lasting until 1 a.m., and features the George Scott Big Band, The Bar-Room Buzzards, The Albrights, Zydeco, Pyromancy and Pat Rouf, plus music in the Shea's Lobby, street performers and more.
Check out all of Paula’s Buffalo Examiner columns:
Follow Paula on:
· Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance
· Twitter - @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com