Howard County Martin Luther King, Jr., Holiday Commission
- When: The 29th celebration will occur on January 19, 2014, to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and to remember this historic point in our nation’s history. The Hon. Pamila J. Brown, Judge in the Howard County District Court will be the keynote speaker.
- What: A key part of the celebration is the Student Essay Contest for middle and high school students to engage students in thinking about the lessons that Dr. King taught this nation.
- The theme of this year’s Essay Contest is based on Martin Luther King’s 1965 speech at Oberlin College on the Future of Integration, which ended with the powerful directive: “The time is always right to do right.”
- How: The Essay Contest is open to all Howard County middle and high schools students.
- Monetary awards and certificates will be awarded to the top three middle and high school finalists at the Martin Luther King Holiday Commission event on January 19, 2014, at Howard Community College.
- Submission deadline is 5 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 13 at the Commission offices. Finalists and Schools will be notified by Friday, Dec. 13.
Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department, Fire & Ice Celebration Events
- When: Saturday, October 19, 10 -11a.m.
- Where: The PARADE begins at Main Street & Ellicott Mills in Historic Ellicott City and finishes at Main & Maryland. There will be fire trucks galore, a pipe and drum band, Scout troops, and marching bands from Mount Hebron and Howard High Schools, The Station Singers from Hollifield Station Elementary School, 8th Grade Singers from Patapsco Middle School, and much more.
- How: For more information, visit our website at www.ECMDVFD.org or call 410-465-6700
Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department, Fire & Ice Dinner Dance/Gala
- When: The celebration continues from Saturday, October 19, 7-11 p.m. at The Armory, 4244 Montgomery Road, Ellicott City. The Armory opens its doors to our community for an evening of fun and excitement.
- Start with a delicious buffet dinner courtesy of Carrabba's Italian Grill, and continue with fantastic Live and Silent Auction items from local merchants.
- How: Tickets are $50 and should be purchased in advance. For more information, visit our website at www.ECMDVFD.org or call 410-465-6700.
Candle Light Concerts
- When: Saturday, October 19, 8 p.m.
- Where: Smith Theatre, Horowitz Arts Center, Howard Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia.
- What: Jupiter Quartet featuring James Dunham, VIOLIST will play: Haydn: String Quartet in G minor, Op. 74, No. 3; “Reiterquartett” Britten: String Quartet No. 1 in D, Op. 25; Brahms: Viola Quintet in G Major, Op.111 with James Dunham, guest violist.
- How: Info and tickets 410-997-2324 email@example.com
The Howard County Orchestra
- When: Howard County's only all professional orchestra, announces its kick-off event of the season featuring the award-winning Lyric Brass Quintet in light and popular classics on Sunday, October 20, from 3-5 p.m.
- Where: 4222 Club Court, Ellicott City.
- Tickets: The cost is $15. For more information please call 410-461-7793, x. 398 or visit www.hococo.org
- What: Howard County Recreation and Parks is offering a babysitting training course focusing on child development, safety, first aid, and other necessary skills to make you a professional babysitter.
- When: This class meets Wednesday, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. starting Oct. 23.
- How: To register by phone, please call 410-313-7275. For more information, please contact Holly Harden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-313-4625
The EVFD Junior Firefighters's Halloween Youth Dance
- What: Halloween Youth Dance for ages 9-15 on Saturday, October 26, from 7-10 p.m.
- Where: Elkridge Volunteer Fire Department fire hall, 6275 Old Washington Road, Elkridge, MD
- Tickets: $10 per person at the door with a maximum of 200 tickets sold.
- Food and beverages, including pizza, corn dogs, pretzels, nachos, candy, water and sodas, will be available for sale.
- The department does have a no exceptions policy on appropriate behavior and dress code for its youth dances and also enforces a strict adult sign-in/sign-out procedure for attendance. The dance is chaperoned. For more information on the dance, call 410-761-6633, option 5 or go to www.ElkridgeVFD.org.
Ballet Royale Institute of Maryland Fall Open House and New Adult Classes
- When: 9147 D Red Branch Road, Columbia, Maryland 410 997-8443, Fall Open House and New Sat. Adult Classes. Sat. Oct. 26, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- For more information, visit www.balletroyale.com.
American Cancer Society Choirs
- What: Listen to choirs from five churches and the Columbia Brass Quintet join forces at a Benefit Concert.
- When: Sunday, October 27 at 3 p.m. at Bethany United Methodist Church, 2875 Bethany Lane, Ellicott City.
- Participating churches are Bethany United Methodist in Ellicott City, Glen Mar United Methodist in Ellicott City, Glenelg United Methodist Church in Glenelg, Mt. Zion United Methodist Church in Highland, and Linden-Linthicum United Methodist Church in Clarksville.
- Tickets: The public is invited. There will be no charge, but a free-will offering will be taken.
- For more information, call 410-531-2324 or 410-796-0290.