For many people, pizza crust is a no-no. Perhaps grains are out of the question, or there is another reason for not being able to consume traditional crust. No matter. There are a few options for enjoying pizza without crust.
Make an omelet to use in place of the standard crust. Cook this in an omelet pan. Start with oil, then add scrambled egg mixture. Cook until half done, then add toppings. Cover about 3 minutes, then uncover and put under the broiler until the cheese melts. Be sure to put toppings on in layers, leaving some cheese for the top (if using.) Egg crust pizzas are especially good at breakfast.
- Diced tomato, diced zucchini, and cheese.
- A thin layer of sauce, pepperoni, diced tomato, and cheese.
- Pineapple, ham slices, and cheese.
- Try other combinations to see what you like best.
Try a ground beef crust pizza for lunch or dinner. Spread ground beef around in a baking dish, or in a cast iron skillet being sure to leave room for the toppings. Bake at 350 degrees, for about 30 minutes before draining off the fat. Add toppings and bake another 10 minutes or so.
- Sauce, diced tomato, bacon and cheese.
- Sauce, sliced mushrooms, pepperoni, and shredded mild cheddar cheese.
- Sweet and sour sauce, pineapple tidbits, ham or bacon, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Try making this with ground turkey or chicken.
- For another breakfast option, use ground sausage.
Chicken can also be used. Line the bottom of a baking dish with thinly sliced chicken pieces. Bake at 350 degrees until almost cooked through. Then add toppings and bake until cheese is melted.
- Ranch dressing, sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Sweet and sour sauce, pineapple chunks and a mix of mozzarella and mild cheddar cheeses.
- Barbecue sauce, sliced tomato, peppers, parsley, and taco cheese mix.
Tell us what grain free pizzas you enjoy.
And visit the Frugal Recipes blog.
Be sure to subscribe to Bangor Easy Meals to receive all new updates to the column. Please share articles you enjoy on Facebook, Twitter and other social and bookmarking venues. You may contact Shannon any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a comment here. And be sure to check out the book store for Beverages on a Budget and other cookbooks.