The Academy Award is known to be the highest achievement in the entertainment industry; Crunchies is trying to replicate that in the world of technology. On the night of January 31, 2013, the 2012 Crunchies award ceremony was held at Davis Symphony Hall in San Francisco, gathering the most successful entrepreneurs, angels, venture capitalists, media and people who are generally interested in technology.
The show is is collaborative effort between GigaOM, TechCrunch and VentureBeat. Hosted by comedian John Oliver from the The Daily Show and music guest GZA/The Genius of the Wu-Tang Clan, Crunchies has certainly lighten up the crowd with a fun night of entertainment. “It's about giving nerds the opportunity to do what nerds to best. Sit back and judge each other” joked by John Oliver on the stage.
At Crunchies, people can expect not only to gain awards, but also to mend relationships. When Michael Arrington (Founder of Techcrunch) and Tim Armstrong (CEO of AOL) presented the best CEO awards together, Armstrong strongly hinted that he wanted to hire Arrington back after firing him, a statement to which Arrington jokingly replied, “In that same hypothetical world, is Ariana Huffington still gonna be there?”
Here is the list of the winners:
- Best Technology Achievement - Mars Curiosity
- Best Collaborative Consumption Service - Airbnb
- Best E-Commerce Application - Fab
- Best Mobile Application - Google Maps
- Fastest Rising Startup - Snapchat
- Best Content Discovery Application - Pinterest
- Best Bootstrap Startup - Techmeme
- Sexiest Enterprise App - Box
- Best International Startup - SoundCloud
- Best Education Startup - Codeacademy
- Best Hardware Startup - Makerbot
- Best Time Sink - Buzzfeed
- Biggest Social Impact - Reddit
- Angel of the Year - Chris Dixon
- VC of the Year - Peter Thiel
- Founder of the Year - Kevin Systrom
- CEO of the Year - Mark Zuckerberg
- Best New Startup of 2012 - Coursera
- Best Overall Startup of 2012 - Github
Congratulations to all the 2012 Crunchies award winners, and congratulations to those who were nominated. The winners at the Crunchies are an inspiration to all the startups who wish to continue to innovate and change the world.