February is the Month of Love. It’s also the value-oriented “shoulder” season for cruises. Great deals are available now, so check cruise line websites and consolidators for the best prices and extra incentives if you’re looking to rekindle the spark in your romance.
According to a survey commissioned during winter 2012 by Royal Caribbean International*, 90 percent of Americans astoundingly ranked sex as the top activity on their cruise itinerary. Survey respondents also consider cruises to be the most romantic type of vacation while offering a better value for their dollar (84%). More than four out of five respondents also say that a cruise with their partner is more romantic than a land-based vacation, with a whopping 98% opting for an exotic cruise – to Bermuda or Europe, perhaps – as a special way to celebrate a special occasion like Valentine’s Day or an anniversary.
Based on survey results, other reasons why couples should consider a cruise vacation include:
• Love Liner: The vast majority of survey respondents say they left their last cruise feeling more “connected” with their partner (80%), being more in love with their partner (67%) and feeling more attracted to their partner (65%).
• Relationship Rx: Nearly three-quarters of respondents say that spending time with their significant other on their most recent cruise improved their relationship.
• Port of Love: Respondents indicated that they are more likely to enjoy a number of romantic activities on a cruise than on a land-based vacation, including watching the sunset (72%), strolling in the moonlight (58%), stargazing (56%) and sharing a romantic dinner à deux (55%).
• Motion of the Ocean: Half of the respondents say they are more likely to be intimate on a cruise than on a land-based vacation. Not only is sex more frequent on a cruise vacation, but many (62%) report that the sex on their last cruise was better than normal. Perhaps not surprisingly, night time is the right time, or most popular time of day to be amorous on a cruise (31%), while 28% prefer any time of day – morning, noon or night.
• Nautical Naughtiness: 24% cite their balcony as the place onboard where they would most like to be intimate – other than their stateroom, of course, and 58% are more likely to pack lingerie or sexy underwear for a cruise than a land-based vacation. For an amazing 90%, sex ranks as the top activity on their itinerary, ahead of sitting by the pool (84%), enjoying nightlife options (83%) and shopping (70%).
Royal Caribbean has been voted “Best Cruise Line Overall” for nine consecutive years in the Travel Weekly Readers’ Choice Awards. Lucky for Austin residents, it sails from Galveston, just a half day’s drive to embark on a romantic journey.
Information courtesy of Tracy Quan Lyan Sierra-Caro, media representative of Royal Caribbean Cruise Line