Families have busy lives and many find themselves ordering a pizza or Chinese take-out for dinner when they have a time crunch. Grabbing fast food or take-out can prove to be not only expensive but unhealthy. Learn to use your crock pot or slow cooker to create delicious home-cooked meals while you are at work our out running errands.
The ingredients for this crock pot pepper steak can be prepared ahead of time and then added to the slower cooker before you walk out the door for the day. You can also make the rice or farro ahead of time and just reheat in the microwave.
If you prefer, the beef and peppers can be cut into chunks rather than strips. You can also use yellow or orange bell peppers, or any combination of colored bell peppers you find appealing.
Crock pot pepper steak recipe
Ingredients for crock pot pepper steak:
- 2 to 2½ pounds beef chuck steak or beef round steak
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger or 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. raw or granulated sugar
- 3 large green and 3 large red bell peppers cut into strips
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 to 4 cups brown rice or farro cooked according to package directions
How to make crock pot pepper steak
- Cut beef into 3-inch by 1-inch strips.
- Heat the oil in medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the beef a little at a time and brown on all sides.
- Transfer beef and juices from the skillet to crock pot or slow cooker.
- Combine next 7 ingredients and pour over beef in the crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours until meat is tender.
- Add green and red bell pepper strips; cook on LOW for 1 hour longer.
- Combine cold water and cornstarch to make a paste; stir into liquid in crock pot or slow cooker. Cook on HIGH until thickened, approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve pepper beef steak over ¼ to ½ cup brown rice or farro per person. Yield: 6 to 8 servings
©Rachael Monaco All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. The first two sentences may be reposted with a link back to the original article.