Crab Ragoon has been mistakenly identified in the past as a little appetizing fried wonton dish that is from Asia, but it is not so it’s actually from here in the U.S. However this crunchy appetizer can be found at most Chinese American restaurant under appetizer.
This appetizer deserves to have its own day of recognition called National Crab Ragoon Day because it is a tasteful fried wonton appetizer and great starter introduction to open up your taste buds to any meal.
Crab Ragoon is not a complicated appetizer you need some wonton wrappers, some crab meat (imitation crab meat is fine) and cream cheese and just fry until crispy, so when you bite into it, you here the crunch with every bite.
Since there are a few variation of crab ragoon you can omit the crab meat if you are allergic to shellfish. Instead just season the cream cheese the same with scallions, garlic, onion powder, salt, steak sauce or soy sauce.
For those that are more health conscience, you can still have this treat and eat it too on National Crab Ragoon Day by baking it in a mini muffin pan so it holds its shape of a flower or triangle.
This fried wonton appetizer is generally inexpensive because imitation crab meat is used which keeps the price low. As a cost effective dish you can treat yourself or a friend out on National Crab Ragoon Day. However if real lump crab meat is used the price will be slightly higher.
Enjoy this delectable little dish served with these dipping sauces of soy, sweet and sour or hot mustard sauce or you can have it alone.
• 1 package of wonton wrappers
• 8 oz. of cream cheese, softened
• 12 oz. cans of crabmeat, drained and flaked
• ½ tsp. garlic powder
• ¼ tsp. paprika
• 2 pinches of salt
• ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
• ½ tsp. onion powder
• 1 quart of vegetable for frying
1. In a deep fryer or a dutch oven pot, heat oil up to 375 F.
2. In a large bowl mix, cream cheese, crabmeat and spices
3. Put 1 tsp. of cream cheese mixture in the center of the wonton.
4. Moisten wrapper edges with a little water. Fold over the mixture and pinch to seal.
5. With a couple at a time fry for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.