In these economic times with the decrease of jobs the crime rate is up and there are more positions available to people who might be qualified to fill the positions. You may have to take additional schooling or classes to become qualified, or use the degree that you have, to get access to one of the positions.
- A Patrol Officer or Police, Sheriff's Deputy or State Tropper may be the kind of position that appeals to you. In surveys that were taken they found that being a patrol office was popular. They are always in demand, and are necessary for the people that they serve. They are also very visible.
- The patrol officer issue traffic, citations, investigates minor crimes and traffic crashes. They also assist the public when they are patrolling the streets and sidewalks of the cities, or towns. In most cases they will train you on the job. Their salary will vary, depending on the area or city that they serve, the national salary for patrol officers is approximately $58,000.
- Paralegal & and Legal Assistant is also a good field to obtain a position. They work with attorneys and assist them in preparing legal documents and getting ready for trials. The Federal Bureau of Labor & Statistics are projecting growth in the profession over the next few years. Paralegals can earn a salary of approximately $53,000/yr. the salary depends on the area that you work. The government agencies pay more money, due to salary increases.
- Probation and Correctional Specialist are also part of the Criminal Justice Positions. They tract the people out of jail and prison to make sure they are abiding by their probation status. Their salary is projected at approximately $46,000/yr.
- Detectives and Criminal Investigators are a step up from the patrol officers. Detectives and Criminal Investigators usually specialize in a particular area, such as burglary, "persons" crime, or robbery, battery, domestic violence, or homocide. They investigate and interview, and they usually wear civilian clothes. Their salary is usually upward to $80,000, again it depends on the area of service that they render, such as a small or large city.
- Legal secretaries are necessary and they provide clerical assistance to attorney and paralegals. They also prepare legal documents, issue subpoenas, motions, and complaints. They also may conduct research for the attorneys. Their salary can vary from $50,000 upward or less, depending the size of the firm and the city they work in.
If this field interest you, you can check on the schools in your area, or online courses that are creditable.