James Cruetz' 833 series and Dave Jodoin's perfect game -- both coming in the Al Davis Memorial League at Bowland Port Charlotte -- are the headline performances in this week's Examiner.com high-score report from bowling centers in the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Creutz pounded out games of 299, 277 and 257 en route to the 833 series that upped his average to 224. Only a final-ball 10-pin kept the lefthander from an opening 300, and he began Game 2 with the first nine strikes before settling for a 277, and his final score was 257.
"I was just having fun, with good friends behind me, as well as keeping my game simple, and having a great ball driller like Nick Gassera (at RG Strikeline Pro Shop) doesn't hurt, either," said Creutz, who had a 270 game in a 765 series in the same league the previous week.
Jodoin attained perfection in the middle game of a 762 series, in which he opened with 254 and finished with 208. His current average now stands at 228.
Jimmy Bruns rolled 11 consecutive strikes before a final-ball 8-count forced him to settle for a 298 opening game in the Monday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl. He tacked on games of 226 and 235 to finish with a 759 series.
Two area players finished a 290 score by ending a game with 11 straight strikes. Terry Deshaies capped a 762 series with his 290 score in the Surfin Plumbers Mixed League at Sarasota Lanes, and Wayne Fox rolled his 290 in the Adam & Eve Mixed League at Bowland Port Charlotte.
Two women roll 700-plus series in same league
Two of the top female bowlers in the area, Jennifer Peacock and Renae Gross, both surpassed the 700 series mark during a recent session of the Beef O'Brady's/Parquette Insurance League at Treasure Lanes.
Peacock blasted games of 236, 246 and 261 for a 743 series, raising her average to 221, while Gross fired 217, 234 and 267 for a 718 set to finish with a 221 average. Gross also posted 246-676 numbers in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Ladies League at the same center.
In a far-over-average accomplishment, Scott Gale connected for a 107-over 275 game in the Thursday Night Mixed League at Bowland Port Charlotte.
In other top scoring reported from each of the seven area centers:
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Art Jozwiak 278-754, Eric Hill 269, Charlie Hauser 268, Matt Carter 267, Bob Deane 267, Daniel Gassera 267, Joshiwa Graham 266-731, Tom Rea 266, John Raffone 266; Jodi Suares 246-625, Sharon Niehaus 239, Celinda Brennan 237, Camille Pitassi 236, Shirl Goble 234, Ruth Lugert 226, Ashley Schwartz 226, Ann Faraldo 225, Carol Grimm 225, Pat Cole 225, Mickeal Paige 629, Jill Harper 609.
- TREASURE LANES: David Drab 280-741, Mike Aleshire 279-736 and 268-750, Mike Janosik 277-726, David Baker Jr. 269 and 268, David Donaldson 269, Keith Jones 267, Herb Francis 265, Jerry Weese 265, John Hoppe 707, Gary Toma 705; Dolores Meyers 268-617 and 615, Renae Gross 236-632, Wendy Aldridge 234 and 229-627, Dale Miller 234, Ona Wood 231-633, Jennifer Peacock 637.
- SARASOTA LANES: David Shedrow 278, Jason Ferrill 268-745, John Hall 267, Dave Grether 717, Steven Baran 712; Peggy Christmas 245, Barb Ripley 243-627 and 225.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: Brett Carberry 279, Kevin Craycraft 278-717, Tony Clevenger 277-736, Doug Kirk 269 and 712, John Stempien 268-728, Nick Jones 266.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Terry Cline 289-742, Brent Dykstra 716; Heatherly Faulkner 237-656, Pam Rizzo 601.
- AMF BRADENTON LANES: Ed Slusser 279, Richard Ferry 266, Michael Creasy 702; Paula Wenzel 657.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: Troy Hoostal 278; Cindy Grich 227.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]