Creative Technology today announced the Sound Blaster X7, their most powerful and technologically advanced audio single-solution for gamers (or anyone else really) to date. No matter what you play, listen to, or what platform it's on, the X7 promises to make it bigger, louder, and better.
The X7 uses Creative’s impressive audio processing technologies and turns them all up to "11" with "audiophile-grade" components and specifications. The X7 is basically an external sound card/processor sporting connectors (including Bluetooth and NFC (Near Field Communication) for virtually any class of device -- all of it crammed into a small trapezoid that won't consume your desktop or living room space.
The Sound Blaster X7 is powered by a 24-bit/192kHz high-resolution 127dB DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and 100W-capable audio amplifier, although you can't get the kind of output out of the box with the included AC adapter (something you might miss if you don't read the extensive array of specifications carefully). As noted in the specifications below, you need to step up to an optional, more powerful (24V/6A) AC adapter to get the 100w output.
You know it must be something special when the press release is no less than 7 pages of specifications, options, and (of course) marketing hyperbole--and comes with an MSRP of $399. (And then you'll need speakers to connect to it...)
“Our goal is to allow all these users of all these platforms to enjoy the best audio in the way it’s meant to be heard, and in the way they want to hear it. That’s why we’ve created the Sound Blaster X7. It is absolutely the biggest, baddest, and boldest Sound Blaster to date.”
Wong Hoo Sim, CEO of Creative.
Pricing and Availability
The Creative Sound Blaster X7 is priced at $399.99 and will be available in December 2014 at Creative's Online store.
In the meantime, here are its specifications, options, and features:
Sound Blaster X7 Features and Specifications (courtesy of Creative Technology)
- Burr-Brown (PCM1794) 127dB digital-to-analog converter (DAC) supports high-resolution audio playback of HD audio tracks up to 24-bit/192kHz when connected to
- PC/Mac, including 24-bit/88.2kHz and 24-bit/176.4kHz
- Texas Instruments (TPA6120A2) 600Ω headphone amplifier is capable of driving audiophile-grade headphones, with full and detailed clarity
- High power, high efficiency Texas Instruments Class D amplifier (TPA3116D2) delivers up to 100W power (2 x 50W @ 4Ω). (Note: 100W speaker output requires upgrade to high power adapter (24V 6A). Supplied power adapter provides up to 2 X 38W @ 4Ω.)
- Burr-Brown (PCM4220) 123dB analog-to-digital converter (ADC) delivers high quality, low noise analog line-in audio playback and audio recording of up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Nichicon “Fine Gold” capacitors offers rich sound in the bass register and clearer highs
- USB 2.0 Host connectivity allows direct streaming of high quality, lossless audio from
Android and iOS devices
- Asynchronous Mode USB Audio greatly reduces jitter and allows accurate high-resolution audio data transfer from the computer
- Swappable op-amps for customizable tonality
- ASIO support allows for reduced latency for a higher resolution audio experience to passive bookshelf and tower speakers
- Gold-plated audio connectors create precise contact for low signal loss
- Digital High-Speed USB 2.0 connectivity to PC/Mac as an ultra high-end external Sound Blaster
- Digital USB Host connectivity to select iOS/Android models for direct high quality, lossless audio streaming
- Optical S/PDIF-Input connectivity to televisions and gaming consoles
- Features wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Low Energy connectivity and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology for one-touch Bluetooth pairing. Also supports HD audio codecs such as aptX® Low Latency and AAC for a wireless connection as good as a wired connection, and Creative MultipointTM for up to two simultaneous Bluetooth connections
- Features an RCA Line-In (Right and Left) option for analog connectivity to other various audio sources
- Features a 3.5mm Mic-In
- iOS devices using Lightning connector (iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPad Air, iPad Mini)
- Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3; Google Nexus 5, Nexus 7; Sony Xperia Z, Ultra; Xiaomi Redmi, Redmi Note, Mi 3; LG G2)
Play to any speaker system and headphones:
- Gold-plated 2-Way binding post terminal connectors for passive bookshelf and tower speakers (bare wires/banana plug connectivity). Comes with a switch for impedance selection
- 5.1 analog connectivity for surround sound
- Optical S/PDIF-Output connectivity
- 1/4′′ (6.3mm) headphone out
- 1/8′′ (3.5mm) headphone out