What is the Most Effective Website?
You can have pictures of luxurious living, text which jumps and flashes and even an image of yourself walking on to the screen and talking. I’ve seen a wide variety of website designs and even tested quite a few.
Use the Acid Test
1. What appealed to you when you were searching for a home based business? Did you go for the fancy websites which looked like an advertisement for a carnival sideshow? What style appealed to you? If you are looking for someone similar to yourself, take a suggestion from what content and appearance appealed to you.
2. What do you believe will be appealing to your target audience? Select words and pictures which will appeal to your target audience. If you are appealing to stay-at-home moms, emphasize the time flexibility and display pictures of women playing with their kids.
If your target audience is composed of corporate executives, focus the headlines on maintaining and improving their professional lifestyle while working in their home office. Show images of a more casual dress code, cheering for their child at a sporting event, or having a casual breakfast with the family. Think about what they may have missed being able to enjoy because they were working so many hours away from home. Demonstrate that they can enjoy the lifestyle and maintain or exceed their professional income.
3. Layout, colors, images and headlines are all important, but those elements are only part of the website. Functionality is extremely important.
How easy is it to obtain information?
• Name of the company –List the company name but also list your name
• Company vision
• Compensation plan
• Primary product information
• Your personal blog
How easy is it for the prospect to gain valuable information about the company and about you as their mentor and leader? Remember all of the questions you wanted answered before you selected a home based business? They probably have the same questions.
4. How easy is it to move around the site and locate answers to questions?
5. How much does the site reveal about you as a leader? This is not about bragging on yourself; this is about allowing them to get to know you as a person. People do business with those they know, like and trust.
Don’t forget to display your picture. You don’t have to look like a professional athlete or a movie star; you do have to be visible. If you are appealing to professionals, dress like a business professional in your photo. Dress appropriately to appeal to your target audience.
People decide in the first three seconds if they want to stay on a website or hit the delete button or the back button.
Use an appealing headline and select your words carefully in your opening sentence. The job of the first sentence is to get them to read the second sentence and so forth.
Your website is a reflection of you and your business.