An individual’s resume is like a personal advertisement, exhibiting skills, experience, and education in a limited amount of words. Taking students through the process to create a resume can be a taxing task. The easiest way to approach creating a resume is to first look at examples of various types of formats.
1. Using resume examples create a packet for each student.
2. Looking at one resume at a time, ask students what about the document is appealing and distracting.
3. Discuss each resume in the packet, allowing students to comment and provide feedback.
4. Show students where to find resume templates in Microsoft Word. (Advise them to use the template as a pattern.)
5. Have students construct a basic resume that includes the following:
a. Full name
b. Physical address
c. Contact number
6. Make sure information is in chronological order
7. Use verbiage from actual job sites that correlate with personal experience.