Baked potatoes are so good all by themselves and a twice-baked potato provides a taste sensation that is the best of both worlds. A baked potato with half of it mashed and baked again makes them hard to resist.
Stuffing a twice-baked potato with delicious ingredients changes the flavor and texture of this usual side dish or main lunch choice. There are so many ways to enjoy a potato depending upon what you add into the split before it is placed back into the oven.
First we’ll go over the basics of how to bake the potato and create a twice-baked potato and then provide an array of choices to make a different one every time you are in the mood for this full bodied potato. Making an ultimate potato is easy and with so many choices you can decide which your favorite is and how many new ways you’ll want to serve them up for your family to enjoy.
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups of grated cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- Use a fork and pierce each potato about 6 times all the way around it.
- Rub the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to coat them lightly.
- Place potatoes on the oven rack or a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until center of potato is done by testing them with a gentle squeeze.
- Use a paring knife to make a slit in the top of the potato.
- Then squeeze the sides so half the potato flesh pops up.
- Scoop out half the potato flesh and place it into a mixing bowl.
- In the mixing bowl add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and whip up with a hand mixer.
- Scoop the mashed potato mixture back into the potato skins and place back into the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve while hot.
To create an ultimate stuffed or loaded twice-baked potato just add 1 cup of any of the following into the whipped potatoes and then stuff them for more deliciousness everyone will love.
Try these choices next time you stuff a baked potato:
- Barbecued beef tips
- BBQ sauce
- Buttered chives
- Canned beans, drained
- Canned chili
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped bell peppers
- Chopped sausage
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped white onion
- Chunks of lobster
- Cooked shrimp
- Crumpled bacon
- Deiced sun dried tomatoes
- Diced ham
- Diced salami
- Diced tomatoes
- Dungeness crab chowder
- Pulled brisket of beef
- Roasted garlic
- Sautéed spinach
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Sliced olives
- Sour cream
- Steamed broccoli
- Steamed cauliflower
- Steamed peas
- Swiss cheese, shredded
- Taco mix flavoring
Enjoy your ultimate, stuffed and loaded twice-baked potato!
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author: