When it comes to the holidays, home decor and festive food probably share equally in the focus they command. But now, there's one other option that incorporates both so beautifully and uniquely into one: a Very Berry Holiday Tree!
With just a few simple supplies and minimal effort, you, too, can create this showstopper centerpiece that also just so happens to be delicious as well. In fact, you'll have your guests so impressed, they'll think it was professionally created. Shhh...it's our little secret.
- 1 floral foam or green styrofoam cone measuring 4-5 inches in diameter at the base and 12 inches high
- 1 box of toothpicks
- 4 (1-lb) containers of fresh strawberries
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 slice from a star fruit (can substitute a 1-inch star shape from a mango slice made using a cookie cutter)
- Wash the strawberries and blot them dry with paper towels. Pull off the green stem from each strawberry. Reserve a perfect strawberry for the top of the "tree."
- Push a toothpick halfway into the side of the cone, about 1/2 inch from the bottom edge. Secure a strawberry to the toothpick, piercing it through the stem end. Secure another strawberry right next to the first one.
- Continue securing strawberries to the cone in circular rows up to its top, covering the cone completely. Secure the reserved strawberry to the top of the tree.
- Remove some mint leaves from the bunch of mint and tuck them between the berries, placing them at about 3-inch intervals.
- Secure the star-shaped fruit or mango slice to the top of the cone using a toothpick.