Resumes are the first thing that employers look at when deciding whether to call you for an interview or not.
A resume has to impress in thirty seconds or less.
Here are some tips to make your resume stand out:
- Break paragraphs up into bullet points. Makes it easier from the employer to scan.
- Use keywords from the qualifications the employer listed in their ad, such as customer service, accounting experience, etc.
- Remove unnecessary dates and information that doesn't apply to the job you are seeking.
- Avoid the word "Responsibilities." Instead use action words when describing your previous duties.
- Have a professional look over your resume at a career center in your area, such as Goodwill Career Centers.
A good resume will get your foot in the door. What you do with that opportunity is up to you.