Macaroni and cheese is plain old delicious. Kids and adults alike enjoy "mac and cheese" as a treat once in a while. This savory, creamy recipe is simple and irresistible. It's tried and true. Do not bake this recipe. Baking tends to dry out this dish. Serve hot right off the stove top for a delicious treat this summer.
When one makes this recipe into a "mac and cheese" bar with delicious toppings, then he/she has a complete meal with some added nutrition for the whole family. Set up a mac and cheese bar outdoors when the sun goes down this summer.
This summer recipe is adapted from the kitchn's mac and cheese recipe:
1 pound of Fusilli pasta
1 1/2 cups of 2% hormone-free milk
2 tablespoons of flour
2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (sharp cheddar and jack cheese)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of powdered mustard (don't skimp gives dish a tang.)
Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
Needed: pot, sauce pan, whisk (very important) serving bowl, and large spoon
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Pour pasta back into the hot pan and add sea salt and drizzle with olive oil. Stir well. Set aside off burner.
- In a sauce pan warm one cup of milk. In a bowl whisk together remaining milk and flour. Whisk until there are no lumps. When steam rises off of the milk warming whisk in flour, milk mixture.
- Continue using the whisk until the milk is creamy and thickened. Less than 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and mix in cheeses, salt and mustard. Continue to stir until all of the the cheese has melted. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Add more salt to taste, cracked black pepper, and even crushed red pepper to give it a good kick.
- Combine the pasta and the hot cheese sauce in a large serving bowl. Stir to coat noodles evenly. Serve immediately.
- In small dishes have toppings for family and guests: crispy bacon pieces, green peas, mushrooms (sauteed), thinly sliced bell peppers, extra shredded sharp cheddar, crushed red pepper, broccoli florets steamed, cauliflower florets steamed, toasted bread crumbs and a good hot sauce.
Enjoy this outdoor, mac and cheese, treat this summer.