You may think of sweet potato and winter squash to make soups this time of the year, but many Indianapolis restaurants have mushroom soup on their menu now. To name a few: RBistro, Zing, Palomino, Rathskeller and more. Because mushrooms are mostly grown in climate controlled environments, they are a perfect vegetable to use all year long. These little gems are also very nutritious, to see the health benefits, click here.
While the snow falls, enjoy this warm, delicous and healthy soup!
Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 pound assorted wild & domestic mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 chopped fresh parsley leaves (if you have it)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat free half and half or Milk
Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes. Add thyme and cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth and wine and bring to a simmer, about 1 minute.
Simmer 5 minutes. Remove soup from the heat and, using an immersion or stand blender, puree until smooth Return the soup to low heat, add milk (or half & half) to heat through.
Thanks for looking and please SUBSCRIBE SPAM-FREE to my articles by clicking on the SUBSCRIBE button at the top of this page.