A low-cost stove-top entrée that can be prepared quickly, Creamy Alfredo pasta is delicious served with grilled scallops or barbequed chicken that has been basted with a rosemary, oil and balsamic vinegar glaze during grilling. Depending on the size of your family, you may also want to add a basket of fresh whole wheat crusty rolls or bread sticks. Accompany with a green salad and low-calorie dressing for a healthy menu. For additional vitamins and fiber try adding 1 cup of chopped broccoli or frozen green peas to the onions and tomatoes while sauteing.
If you are considering wine, a white or rose variety is recommended. Nova Scotia's own Grand Pre L'Acadie Blanc Reserve 2010 has a hint of peach and tropical fruit that pairs well with grilled chicken. Click to view the slideshow for more fantastic Canadian wine picks.
Creamy Alfredo Pasta
- 340 gram package broad egg noodles
- 1 medium sized jar Alfredo pasta sauce (410 ml jar of Classico Alfredo and Roasted Garlic)
- 8 to 10 mini tomatoes (try orange, red, or yellow - or a combination of all three), cut in half
- 8 to 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- Parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
- 1 sliced green onion (optional garnish)
- fresh parsley (optional garnish)
In large saucepan, cook pasta al dente according to package directions (approximately 6 minutes). Drain pasta and return to covered saucepan (keeping warm). Meanwhile, sauté onions, tomatoes and mushrooms on medium low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft and onions are a light golden brown on edges. Add sauce, green onions, seasonings and garlic. Continue to heat gently on medium low until heated through but do not bring to a full boil, the sauce may separate.
Place a serving of pasta on each individual plate and top with sauce. You may garnish with additional fresh sliced green onions, parsley and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Serves 4 to 5 people.