This old recipe reminds us of the Wild West and simple but tasteful dinners around the camp fire. With simple ingredients and some creativity we enjoyed cooking this outdoors and savoring it with friends around our very own outdoor fire pit.
Origin: our kitchen
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
• ½ lb honey baked ham (whole and deboned)
• 2 cans white beans (16 oz each)
• 6 thick bacon strips
• 2 large onions (cubed)
• 2 tbsp steak sauce
• 2 tbsp ketchup
• 1 tbsp Tabasco
• 1 tsp mesquite
• Fresh pepper
• Fry the cubed onion and cubed ham in a hot pan with olive oil until onion is translucent but not browned.
• Add the beans (liquid included) and all spices and let simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
• Fry the bacon strips until fully cooked and lightly crisp.
Serve dinner in a deep plate or bowl and top with bacon strips or bacon bits. Serve with country bread on the side.