This recipe calls for ground turkey but ground beef or ground lamb can be substituted for a delicious alternative. The addition of Worcestershire sauce gives this pie the unique English flavor and flair. Despite the long ingredient list, this is a simple recipe to prepare.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 1/2 cups prepared mashed potatoes, reheated
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large oven-proof skillet, sauté ground turkey, carrots, celery, garlic and flour over medium heat until turkey fully cooked and vegetables are tender. Drain liquid.
- Stir in flour, sage, thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, salt and black pepper until well blended.
- Add broth; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until broth absorbed.
- Stir in peas. Heat thoroughly.
- Top meat mixture with warmed mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake in 400* oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.