The problem with good SEO is that it's expensive.
The problem with affordable SEO is it's ineffective.
Why is this?
The core activity of effective SEO is content and publishing. 21st century digital marketing is journalism.
The principal in play here is that in order to get the attention of human readers, you must first get the attention of the search engines, and what types of sites do they rank highly?
- Sites with a lot of content.
- Sites with interesting and useful content.
- Sites that are updated often.
- Sites that have been updated for a long time (a minimum of 7 to 12 months).
Ever wonder why no matter what you search for a Wikipedia page shows up in the top search results? What is listed above is why.
So if good SEO is expensive and cheap SEO is ineffective, what is a small business owner to do?
What you've always done. Find a better way.
Can you learn to do your own SEO?
Yes. It's not rocket science. It's work.
Once you know how to do it, what is left is the doing of it.
Please do not misunderstand me.
Someone within your business will need to devote 10 to 20 hours each week to this effort. It is not trivial (which is why effective SEO is expensive).
However, sweat equity conserves cash.
When you need quality leads via SEO marketing, you CAN learn to do it yourself.
What will you learn?
- How to do the necessary prep work (marketing prep as well as website prep).
- What constitutes "quality" content from an SEO perspective (you know what it is from a human perspective).
- How to find ideas for content generation.
- How to establish and following a publishing schedule.
- How to effectively manage outside writers, should you choose to hire outside writers.
Check it out!