Something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea, (Revelation 8:8).
In the event an undetected meteor, of the magnitude to take out a city, hits Denver today, I’d like to wish you all a fond farewell. It seems that the old cliché, “Ignorance is bliss”, has been adopted by the government and scientific community when it comes to the possibility that such an event could occur virtually anywhere on the planet, with less than a day’s notice. If you missed "60 Minutes" last night, you might want to check out the story to see what I’m talking about.
The show involved an interview with two of the top scientists who track such possibilities. It was titled "Cosmic Roulette". The scientists assured Anderson Cooper that they have 95% of the objects that could take out the entire planet on their cosmic "radar". When asked about the other 5%, they gave Mr. Cooper what looked to me like sheepish grins. But of asteroids/meteors the size that could wipe out entire cities, they reported they have tracked less than 1%! Are you feeling uncomfortable yet?
As I watched the show, I couldn’t help but think about the Book of Revelation. I’ve been called an expert on the biblical document because I wrote a book attempting to explain it a number of years back, and I continue to be one of the hearty (or foolish) souls who teaches through the mysterious book periodically. As an “expert” I can assure you of two things: 1) It is not difficult to decode the message of the book. 2) No one has any idea what most of the book actually means.
The big message of Revelation is simple: “God wins!” "Jesus is coming again!" "All that is wrong will be made right!" The plans God had before he created the physical universe will one day come to pass. That is the big message. The details of what that will look like, communicated in highly symbolic language (called Apocalyptic literature), remain baffling. For instance, take our text for today.
Some scholars will tell you that the references to the “sea” in Revelation are symbolic of the Gentile nations of the world. They will also speculate about what the symbol of the huge mountain, all ablaze might mean. Some suggest false teaching that “poisons” the “sea” spiritually. But what if the huge mountain all ablaze is a huge mountain all ablaze? What if the sea is the sea? What if the waters of the planet are radically impacted by the impact? What if it happened tomorrow? Or next week? Or next year?
Watching "60 Minutes" I sensed that what Anderson was being told is that it is not a question of “if”, but “when”. I think I’ll go back today and read a little Revelation! Maybe I’ll even put an “R” on my hand to remind me! And if Denver no longer exists by the end of the week...its been great knowing you!