A coroner has revealed the death of a marathon runner was probably partly due to the use of banned supplements. According to a Jan. 31 Associated Press report, Claire Squires was taking a supplement called “Jack3D.”
Squires, 30, collapsed of heart failure towards the end of the April 2012 London Marathon. Claire was near Buckingham Palace at the time.
The runner’s boyfriend said she had Jack3D in her water bottle during the marathon. The product contains dimethylamylamine or DMAA. While it can be bought legally online, it is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
The coroner ruled the reason for Claire’s death was cardiac failure, which may have been the result of a combination of the supplement and extreme physical exhaustion.
Claire Squires was fundraising for a suicide prevention organization. Her death inspired more than $1 million in donations.
Do you think there should be stronger regulations for the purchase and use of supplements?