Cornell University claimed its eighth straight Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association team title at The Palestra at University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia Sunday, with four Big Red wrestlers winning individual champs.
Cornell wrestlers who won titles at the 2014 EIWAs: Nashon Garrett (successfully defended his 125-pound title), Chris Villalonga at 149, Gabe Dean at 184, and Jace Bennett at 184.
Despite having to contend with four additional EIWA members (Binghamton, Boston University, Bucknell and Drexel, all previously in the Colonial Athletic Association), Cornell won this year’s team title running away, with 165.5 points compared to second-place Lehigh, with 101. The Mountain Hawks had Mason Beckman win the 133-pound title.
In third place was Rutgers, with 91 points, despite not having any individual champs.
With 81 points, Hofstra came in fourth, with 165-pounder Joseph Booth winning a 2014 EIWA title.
Other individual champs included Nestor Taffur, winning the 157-pound championship for the Boston Terrier program, which is slated for elimination at the end of this season… Todd Preston for Harvard at 141… Matthew Miller for Navy at 174… and, at heavyweight, Bucknell’s Joe Stolfi.
Match Results -- Championship Finals
- 125: Nahshon Garrett (Cornell) dec. David Terao (American), 2-1
- 133: Mason Beckman (Lehigh) dec. Kevin Devoy (Drexel), 4-1
- 141: Todd Preston (Harvard) dec. Luke Vaith (Hofstra), 8-6, SV1
- 149: Chris Villalonga (Cornell) dec. Mitchell Minotti (Lehigh), 4-2
- 157: Nestor Taffur (Boston U) dec. Markus Scheidel (Columbia), 8-2
- 165: Joseph Booth (Hofstra) dec. Dylan Palacio (Cornell), 6-4, SV1
- 174: Matthew Miller (Navy) pinned Bradley Wukie (Penn), 2:46
- 184: Gabe Dean (Cornell) dec. Lawrence Thomas (Penn), 3-1
- 197: Jace Bennett (Cornell) dec. Cody Reed (Binghamton), 5-4
- Hwt: Joe Stolfi (Bucknell) dec. William Smith (Rutgers), 9-7
Final Team Standings
- Cornell, 165.5 team points
- Lehigh, 101
- Rutgers, 91
- Hofstra, 81
- Columbia, 69
- Navy, 64.5
- (tie) American/Binghamton, 59.5
- Harvard, 55.5
- (tie) Boston University/Penn, 53
- Princeton, 50.5
- Drexel, 47.5
- Army, 46
- Bucknell, 42.5
- Brown, 23
- Franklin & Marshall, 20
- Sacred Heart, 0
It's the most exciting time of the college wrestling season. Subscribe today! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments (including conference and national championships), as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!