It was lucky seven for Cornell University wrestling, as the Big Red won its seventh straight team title at the 2013 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships at Rutgers University in Piscataway, N.J. Saturday afternoon.
Cornell, with 142 team points, had three individual champs: Nahshon Garrett at 125 pounds, Kyle Dake at 165, and Steve Bosak at 184. Dake, a senior, closed out his EIWA career by grabbing a number of other individual prizes, including Outstanding Wrestler honors, the Fletcher Award for earning the most team points in his career with 82.5 points, and the Sheridan Award for having the most pins (2) in the championship bracket in 3:06.
In second place in the team title race was Navy, with 117.5 points; Daniel Miller won the heavyweight crown for the Middies.
University of Pennsylvania placed third, with 110.5 points. The Quakers' Micah Burak won the 197-pound title.
Lehigh, which came in fourth in the team title race with 101.5 points, could claim individual titles for Randy Cruz at 133, Josepth Napoli at 157, and Nathaniel Brown at 174.
Other schools with individual champs include Franklin & Marshall (Richard Durso at 141, the school's first EIWA champ since 1994), and Columbia (Steve Santos, 149).
A minimum of 23 wrestlers from EIWA member schools automatically qualify for the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, to be held in Des Moines March 21-23.
Match Results -- Championship Finals
- 125: No. 1 seed Nahshon Garrett (Cornell) dec. No. 2 Mark Rappo (Penn), 6-1
- 133: No. 2 Randy Cruz (Lehigh) dec. No. 8 Matt Bystol (Columbia), 6-1
- 141: No. 5 Richard Durso (Franklin & Marshall) dec. No. 3 Charles Cobb (Penn), 5-4
- 149: No. 1 Steve Santos (Columbia) dec. No. 3 Daniel Young (Army), 7-2
- 157: No. 2 Joseph Napoli (Lehigh) dec. No. 1 Walter Peppelman (Harvard), 5-0
- 165: No. 1 Kyle Dake (Cornell) tech fall No. 7 Josh Houldsworth (Columbia), 20-5
- 174: No. 1 Nathaniel Brown (Lehigh) dec. No. 2 Matthew Miller (Navy), 3-2
- 184: No. 2 Steve Bosak (Cornell) dec. No. 4 Mason Bailey (Navy), 7-1
- 197: No. 1 Micah Burak (Penn) dec. No. 2 James Fox (Harvard), 6-3
- Hwt: No. 1 Daniel Miller (Navy) dec. No. 2 Blake Herrin (American), 2-1, TB1
Final Team Standings
- Cornell, 142 team points
- Navy, 117.5
- Penn, 110.5
- Lehigh, 101.5
- Rutgers, 91
- Army, 81
- Harvard, 78.5
- Columbia, 75
- American, 57
- Bucknell, 47
- Brown, 38
- Princeton, 24.5
- Franklin & Marshall, 21
- Sacred Heart, 0
The college wrestling season is at its peak! Keep up with all the developments in the sport year round... by clicking the "sign up" button at the top of the page -- or click on the Twitter link below -- to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!