Skip to main content

See also:

Cops: Man shot by officer in SWAT standoff calls 911 to ask for help in Gwinnett

A Gwinnett County police officer shot a suspect during a SWAT standoff Friday.
A Gwinnett County police officer shot a suspect during a SWAT standoff Friday.
Stock Photo

A man shot by an officer in a SWAT standoff called 911 for help Friday. About 10 minutes after they were able to confirm the man was injured, officers entered the home to render aid.

About 4:15 p.m., officers responded to a report of gunshots at 4690 Gold Mine Drive in Buford, according to Gwinnett County police.

Ten minutes later, officers met the complainant and the suspect's family members and soon discovered that the suspect was 42-year-old Jon Christopher Digiulio who was wheelchair bound and had been in a domestic dispute with his roommates the day before, police spokesman Cpl. Jake Smith said.

The suspect fired additional rounds out of the house about 5 p.m., Smith said. When officers couldn't convince him to surrender, the SWAT team was activated. The team was in place when the suspect fired additional shots from a window towards officers shortly after 6 p.m., he said.

When the suspect reappeared in the window with a gun at about 6:30 p.m., an officer fired a single shot, striking the suspect, Smith said. Digiulio dropped behind a wall after being hit.

He placed a 911 call at 6:42 p.m. stating that he was injured and asking for help, Smith said. After the SWAT team was able to confirm that he was injured and not armed at 6:52 p.m., a SWAT medic stepped in to render first aid, Smith said.

Digiulio was quickly moved to an ambulance and transported to a local hospital where he will remain under guard until his release, Smith said. An arrest warrant has been issued for Digiulio on an aggravated assault charge, police said.

The officer who fired the shot will be placed on administrative leave, per standard operating procedure, Smith said. That officer’s name has not been released.