There are afternoons or evenings when adults just want to kick back and relax. These are the times of the day that you want to forget how busy you have been all day or week. A spirited little cocktail may be the perfect recipe to give you a little down time just for yourself.
The children are all asleep or spending the afternoon at a friend’s house. Then again, maybe you are having a pool party with friend and want a little something special to celebrate with or clank glasses in a toast with that is different from the usual drinks served over the years.
This cocktail is refreshing and tastes similar to a fruity splash with a kick. The flavor is sweet, tart and slightly tangy from the alcohol. A treat in a glass that is cool, tasty and aromatic.
Adding a slice of grapefruit into the glass will absorb some of the mix and flavor it. So when the glass is empty you still have one last taste of this special drink as you eat the pulp from the fruit that was floating in your glass. Enjoy those lazy days of summer and cool down by the pool on those hot afternoons in style.
- 4 ounces of white rum
- 2 ounces of vanilla liqueur
- 3 ounces of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon of confectioners’ sugar
- 9 ounces of tonic water
- Grapefruit slices to garnish, optional
- Ice cubes
- Add all but the tonic water into a cocktail shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for one minute.
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Strain the liquid from the shaker and divide among the number of glasses.
- Fill each glass with tonic water and garnish with a slice of grapefruit and serve cold.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved