It is summer and it is really hot. I love ice cream but truthfully, I've been working on losing weight and ice cream just does not fit into my diet plan. Sometimes I will make sorbet which can be healthier than ice cream, but today I really wanted something different.
I checked the internet in search of a healthy version of ice cream that did not take a lot of steps to make, and did not heat up the kitchen in the process. I am also out of room in my freezer right now so there just is not room for my ice cream maker to freeze. Apple Pie Ice Cream
Submitted by: Vitamix
Yield: 3 cups (396 g)
- 3 ounces (89 ml) frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup (60 g) low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 (70 g) apple, cored, seeded quartered
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 (65 g) ripe banana
- 3 cups (720 ml) ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Use the tamper to press ingredients into the blades while processing.
- In about 30 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form in the mixture. Stop machine. Do not over mix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.
If mixture has the consistency of a milkshake, firm it up by slowly adding another cup of frozen ice cubes. Process until smooth.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.