Summer can be the perfect time to enjoy peak seasonal vegetables. July is a great time to enjoy farm fresh cucumbers. Whether shopping at local farmer's markets or a grocery store, fresh cucumbers can be a delicious addition to a summer recipe.
Cucumbers add a refreshingly crisp coolness to any dish. In honor of this powerhouse veggie, here’s StarKist’s fan-favorite recipe:
Hungry Girl’s Cheesy Tuna Salad Stackers
The cucumber component mixed with StarKist Tuna is the perfect snack to hydrate and cool on a hot, summer day or perfect for any summer get-together.
- Cheese-flavored soy crisps or mini rice cakes
- 8 round cucumber slices
- One 3-oz. pouch StarKist® Sandwich-Ready Albacore Tuna Salad
- Top each soy crisp or mini rice cake with a cucumber slice.
- Evenly distribute tuna salad among the cucumber slices, and enjoy.
Tuna Salsa Wrap: Zesty and Fresh
Great as a kids lunch or quick family meal
- 1 pouch (6.4 oz) or 2 pouches (2.6 oz) StarKist Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 6 (6-inch) soft flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- ¾ cup mild shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat tortilla in microwave 10 – 15 seconds to warm.
- In a small bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, mustard, salsa and carrots.
- Lay each tortilla on a cutting board. In the center of the each tortilla, place an equal portion of the lettuce and tuna mixture on each. Top with cheese.
- Fold one side of the tortilla over the ingredients and roll tightly.
Hungry Girl's Sweet 'n Sassy Egg Bites
- 2 pouches (2.6 oz.) StarKist Tuna Creations®, Sweet and Spicy
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat/light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 10 hard-boiled eggs, chilled
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix tuna with mayo. Stir in pepper and onion.
- Halve eggs lengthwise; remove and discard yolks. Evenly distribute tuna mixture among egg white halves. Enjoy!
Grilled and Chilled Veggie Tuna Salad
- 8 thin (or 6 thick) asparagus stalks, tough ends removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup eggplant cut into 1-inch cubes
- One 1/2-inch-thick onion slice, rings intact
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- One 2.6-oz pouch StarKist Tuna Creations®, Sweet and Spicy
- 2 tbsp. light balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Bring a grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add asparagus, eggplant, and onion. Cook until slightly softened, 6 - 8 minutes.
- Flip veggies, and add the cherry tomatoes to the pan. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip tomatoes. Cook until all veggies are soft and slightly blackened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer veggies to a medium bowl. Let cool completely.
- Chop onion. Cover and refrigerate veggies until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Place lettuce on a large plate or in a large bowl and evenly top with chilled vegetables and tuna. Top or serve with dressing.