Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Cooking with kids: key terms 2 (l - z)

This is the second in a series of articles involving the terms kids should be taught when they are being taught how to cook. This set of terms deal with kitchen tools (beginning with letters from l – z, alphabetically) often needed when one cooks. These definitions are taken from The Math Chef by Joan D’Amico and Karen Eich Drummond.

Frying pan
Frying pan
future chef
  • layer cake pans – Round metal pans used to bake layers of a cake.
  • measuring cups – Cups with measurements (1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, etc) on the side, bottom or handle. Measuring cups with spouts are for liquid ingredients. Measuring cups without spouts are used for dry ingredients such as flour.
  • measuring spoons – Used for measuring small amounts of foods, such as spices. They come in a set of 1 Tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon and ¼ teaspoon.
  • microwave dish – Dish that can be safely used in a microwave oven. The best ones say “microwave safe” on the label. Do NOT use metal pans, aluminum foil, plastic foam containers, brown paper bags, plastic wrap or margarine tubs in the microwave.
  • mixing bowls – Round-buttoned bowls used for mixing and whipping all kinds of foods. Depending on the amount of ingredients, a large, medium or small bowl may be used.
  • muffin tins – metal or glass pans with small, round cups used for baking muffins and cupcakes
  • frying pan (sauté pan) – Used for cooking foods, such as hamburgers or onions, in hot fat (oil).
  • sauce pan (pot) – Used for general stovetop cooking, such as boiling pasta or simmering a sauce
  • pastry blender – Group of stiff wires attached to both ends of a handle. It is used, with a rocking motion, to blend butter or margarine into flour and other dry ingredients to make dough.
  • rolling pin – Wooden or plastic roller used to flatten such items as pie crust and biscuit dough.
  • rubber spatula – Flat, flexible rubber or plastic tip on a long handle. It is used to scrape bowls, pots and pans, and for folding (a gentle over- and under- motion) ingredients into whipped cream or other whipped batter.
  • spatula – Flat metal or plastic tool used for lifting and turning meats, eggs and other foods.
  • teaspoon – Spoon used for measuring. Also the name for the spoon used as a utensil at the table.
  • wooden spoon – Used for mixing ingredients together and stirring.
  • tube pan – Metal cake pan with a center tube used for making angel food cakes, bundt cakes and special breads.
  • wire whip – Used especially for whipping egg whites and cream.
  • wire wrack – Used for cooking baked goods.
Report this ad